Legal Question in Bankruptcy in California

I am in the process of filing bankruptcy; I have a new legal new change, however most all my debt was incurred with my old name including taxes that I owe. I have to file the bankruptcy using my legal name; how can I insure that all the debts listed on my bankruptcy filing are discharged under both my new legal name and my old name? Will by bankruptcy filed be noted on both my old name and my new name?

Asked on 6/10/15, 1:21 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II

There is a place on the the bankruptcy petition to list former names and the creditors will also receive notification of you social security number. The creditors, particularly the governmental creditors, should be able to match the bankruptcy noticed to their files.

Make sure you tell all this information to your attorney so he or she can fill out the forms properly. If you don't have an attorney, get one.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/15, 1:32 pm
Kendall Coffman Law Office of Kendall David Coffman

When you fill out the bankruptcy petition, you state your current name as well as former names and other names. Then make sure you include all debts incurred under all names.

Read more
Answered on 6/10/15, 2:40 pm
Asaph Abrams Law Office of Asaph Abrams

All right, already asked and answered, but my spin is insert any and all applicable appellations, monikers, tags, handles, pen names, pet names, sobriquets, alter egos and noms de plume.

This is not an exhaustive list.

Read more
Answered on 6/11/15, 10:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in California