Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

I purchased a car on February 29 2016 from the Toyota dealership. I went out and purchased the required insurance for the vehicle. However today I received a call saying that the employee who finished my contract made a mistake and that I need to go in and sign a new one. This will change my car payments drastically can they legally do this?

Asked on 3/08/16, 3:35 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

You should have an attorney look at the original contract. Also what is the mistake and how will it affect your deal. If for example the are was supposed to be 100,000.00 dollars and they wrote it for 10,000.00 instead that is one thing. Is it that you were not able to qualify for the loan and if so was there a time period they had to contact you. Need to know more details. If you have any questions please feel free to call 818 345 0123

Read more
Answered on 3/08/16, 3:41 pm
Stephen Barnes Barnes Law Firm

Yes the dealer can unwind the deal if they are unable to obtain financing based on the terms stated in the contract and notify you in writing within 10 days. No, they cannot make you sign a new contract. If the changes drastically affect the agreement then you may want to just return the car to them and unwind the deal. You will get your down payment back they get the car back and everyone goes on their way. If they try to force you to sign a new contract do not do it unless you 100% agree to the new terms. Do not let them pressure you in to signing.

Read more
Answered on 3/08/16, 3:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California