Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

My signature was digitally forged on a solar lease liability valued at 20,000.00. I never saw the contract or signed it. 7 months after the install we sold the house for a loss of 15,000.00. We were getting divorced and I asked the solar company to send me a copy of the contract. To My horror, I am named as the primary account holder. I have contacted the solar co and they take no responsibility. My point is that they should have communicated by letter, email, phone directly with me. Their response is that my ex signed on both our behalfs.....had I been informed by them about the contract, I would not have entered into it. What can I do now?

Asked on 10/15/14, 10:57 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Rausa D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law

The best thing to do on this contract is to have it addressed in the Family Law Court during your divorce proceedings.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/14, 11:22 am
Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Mr. Rausa is correct. Either spouse can bind the couple to a contract, unless your divorce was already underway and it was after your official legal date of separation. Either way, it needs to be addressed in the divorce. As between you and the contractor, you are liable unless, as I said, it was during a divorce and post separation.

Read more
Answered on 10/15/14, 11:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California