Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

Can I go after a tax preparer in California if we paid for his service and he never turn my 2015 taxes in. Can I go after him for the penalty and interest from the Franchises Tax Board. They just send me a letter in June 2017 telling us we never turned in 2015 taxes.. I also had to use another tax preparer because they also screw up my FSA tax form.

Asked on 6/21/17, 2:02 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gerald Dorfman Dorfman Law Office

Although your question is short on facts, the general answer is yes. If your deal with the preparer was that they were supposed to file for you, and you thought the return was completed and they had filed your return on time, you can go after them for the penalties and interest, and possibly other contract damages. If there was actual fraud involved, you may also be entitled to punitive damages. Don't forget about your Federal return as well.

Read more
Answered on 6/21/17, 2:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California