Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

The FCRA says that consumers have a right to have credit report be 100% accurate. If I dispute the accuracy of the case number of the bankruptcy on my credit report, which is otherwise accurate, do the bureaus have to remove the item? I did file bankruptcy. The case number showing on my credit report is missing a hyphen, so it is therefore not 100% accurate. Are bureaus required to remove this item because of the inaccuracy?

Thank you.

Asked on 6/19/18, 2:50 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Carl Starrett Law Offices of Carl H. Starrett II

The FCRA doesn't say anything about 100% accuracy. The credit bureaus are responsible for correcting inaccurate or incomplete information in your report. They don't have to remove your BK just because there's a missing dash. I suppose if you want to nitpick this this, you could get them to add the dash. i would not, however consider that an inaccuracy.

Read more
Answered on 6/19/18, 4:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California