Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Joint Credit Card

I allowed my brother to use a credit card issued in my name. He ran up the bill to over $3000 and has stopped paying. I have assumed the debt so my credit record won't be blemished, but I want to take him to small claims court to recover the money. His name was also on the card, all of the charges were made in California. Will I have to pursue him in California small claims court to get the best chance at judgement and recovery?

Asked on 2/15/04, 12:19 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Andrew Nitzberg Andrew Nitzberg & Associates

Re: Joint Credit Card

You need to file where he lives, not where the charges were made.

You are welcome to a consultation at no fee at my offices at 42 West 44th Street (near Times Square). Please call for an appointment first (646) 591-5786.

Read more
Answered on 2/17/04, 3:20 pm
Richard Roberts Richard A. Roberts, Esq.

Re: Joint Credit Card

You need to sue you brother where he lives.

Read more
Answered on 2/17/04, 11:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California