Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

Paid-Returned Check

I bounced a check in April of 2005 for 500.00 and the debt has since been sold to a collection agency who has apparently had it for the last three years. I contacted the collector about four months ago and tried to arrange payment he told me he told me he would need the entire amount. Last month I received a letter stating that Ineeded to contact him and i now owed him 2000.00 but he would accept 750.00 but he wanted the full amount by the 28th of Nov. I sent 500.00 on the 19th but I could not pay the remaining 250.00 before the 28th of the month. He is now saying he wont clear the amount until I pay him another 500.00. Can he do this and should I contact an attorney.

Asked on 12/02/08, 1:50 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Phillip Lemmons, Esq. Phillip Lemmons APC, Attorneys at Law

Re: Paid-Returned Check

You may want to hire an attorney just to make sure it's cleared up correctly.

Read more
Answered on 12/07/08, 12:12 am
Larry Rothman Larry Rothman & Associates

Re: Paid-Returned Check

The debt appears to be barred the statute of limitations. You may have a claim under the Fair Debt Collection Act depending upon the letter you received. Have you made any payments to them? Please contact me if you have any questions.

Read more
Answered on 12/02/08, 2:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California