Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

My 17 yr old daughter ran away and a 19 yr old boy was helping her and lying to us. She was staying in a shed at one of his friends houses with a bunch of teenagers sitting around half naked smoking pot. She is making up stuff saying she is abused at home to get them to help her. This boy did the exact thing with another girl before. Exact accusations as my daughter is making so i am assuming this boy is telling her what to say. I think he needs punished or some kind of consequences so he doesnt do it a 3rd time. If I press charges would anything really be done to him or am I just wasting my time? What about his friend whose house she was staying with? Supposedly he didnt know she was a runaway but it was his shed all the pot smoking teens were staying in.

Asked on 5/07/16, 10:30 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

If you want to talk to the police about what happened, I'm sure they'll listen. But it's not clear to me that the young man or his friends have committed any crimes other than smoking pot, which is a very minor offense. There may be a lot more to the story, though. It may turn out that there are grounds for criminal charges.

Read more
Answered on 5/07/16, 4:08 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California