Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

Hello Last October I received a letter from San Mateo county revenue services saying that I owed $3000.00 plus dollars for a supervised probation fee. I asked for what and they said I had a case in 2011 and that I never paid my fines and monthly probation fee. To my knowledge I did not owe anything and why wait until now to notify me? I explained that I am on social security and I make $650.00 a month. I told them I could only pay about $25.00 a month. They agreed and I have been paying since October last year. The only reason I did not argue about it is because between 2009 and 2012 I got arrested a few times for drunk in public, under the influence and paraphanelia. I was afraid if I made a stink they would pull up all those old cases and charge me for those too. To my knowledge I was never on supervised probation. At this rate I will never get the fined payed off. Is there anything I can do about this?? This fine really is a hardship for me.

Asked on 3/07/19, 10:56 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Once you agreed to pay, monthly, you lost a lot of credibility and grounds for opposing payment if you were to return to court requesting 'relief' from the court's orders. Still, you could try to file a Motion and see where it gets you after you fully explain to the Judge. You might get help from a local 'law clinic'.

Read more
Answered on 3/07/19, 2:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California