Legal Question in DUI Law in California

If I gave an attorney money to handle a case for my dad but just 3 days after I gave the money my dad died. Do I get the money back since I called the day my dad died and told them that he did not need their service.

Asked on 10/02/09, 3:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Marshall Law Office of Robert L, Marshall

You paid an advance fee, where the attorney gets money up front for services to be performed in the future.

Since the services became unnecessary, you are entitled to a refund of fees for services that were not performed. The attorney is entitled to compensation for the reasonable value of what the attorney did, such as contacting the DA, preparing a file and reviewing any reports that were available.

You can take the case to fee arbitration, where a panel of local attorneys will review the case and determine how much you are entitled to get back.

For more information, consult the California State Bar website.

Read more
Answered on 10/03/09, 2:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California