Legal Question in DUI Law in California

I live in California. I got a dui awhile back. I did everything correctly to the point where I got my license back. I enrolled prior to being convicted, so I had to submit paperwork to the alcohol program I was at, they said that they would send the documents to the DMV and courts (or at least I was under that impression). Flash forward to 1 year and 6 months later. I have a bench warrant i i had no knowledge of for 3 months and the money I have been sending to my fine is being allocated to bail. I contacted the program and they said there was never court order documentation stating the case number submitted to them... Which is true, I had a lawyer at the time that NEVER communicated this part to me. I completed my program in June of 2017 after being convicted in May 2017. The deadline to submit proof of enrollment was June 1st 2017(something iI figured the lawyer did since I emailed him all documentation of this) and 12/31/17 was the deadline for proof of completion (something i did and do have proof of, but no one advised be to send to the court, as the lawyer I hired was present for anything I did on the court side).

My questions are.

1. Will I be arrested if I show up to the clerks with all the documents I needed?

2. What do I do to fix this? I did everything.....

Asked on 10/18/18, 8:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

The proper procedure is for you to go some morning soon to that court's criminal clerk office with all your paperwork and evidence. They will send you to a courtroom to see the judge. If you are correct that all of your probation and programs terms were properly completed and you have that paperwork, I would think the judge will sort it out for you and recall the warrant. I suggest you either have an attorney represent you, or at least write out a talking points paper with all those issues, so you don't get rattled and forget or misstate something. If you are serious about hiring counsel, who can appear for you without you being present, contact me at 714-960-7584

Read more
Answered on 10/19/18, 9:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in California