Legal Question in Education Law in California

We came across something called resident low fee benefit for people who have been living for over one year in a particular state in the United states, while they are applying for studies in a university in that state .What are the conditions in California to be considered a resident for this benefit? Is it available for an H4 visa holder or an F1 visa holder ?

Asked on 2/10/12, 5:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

I think you are referring to resident versus non-resident tuition. If so, certainly non-immigrant visas have the capability of establishing residency, while others do not. Holders of H-1B have the capacity (and I believe beneficiaries); however, F-1 visa holders do not since the must retain an unrelinquished foreign residency and, therefore, can never establish residency. Residency requirement can be found in various California statutes and codes.

Read more
Answered on 2/10/12, 5:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California