Legal Question in Education Law in California

My child's grades were affected because a teacher did not grade assignments in the class in a timely manor and let her personal life get in the way. This has hurt a majority of the student's grades and hurt their chances to go to a university. Do I/we have grounds to press charges against the teacher?

Asked on 6/09/16, 1:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

This isn't a criminal matter, so you don't press charges. It is a civil matter. You and the other families can sue to have the grades changed and receive damages for breach of contract and negligence. You have a pretty straight forward case. Talk to the the school superintendent and school board, point out the problem, and have the grading corrected. They can correct the problem very, very quickly and easily. Give them a week to correct the problem, then sue them in your county's superior court, asking for an injunction to have the assignments graded. Good grief. Why does a school allow this to happen. If you have a hassle, show them my answer. W. A. Harrell, Professor Emeritus.

Read more
Answered on 6/09/16, 7:13 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California