Legal Question in Education Law in California

I have an issue with my university. Before I applied for my Masters in Special Education, I was told that I needed to take one course and complete the portfolio. I had already completed most of the upper division courses through my credential. I also wanted an authorization on my credential and was told that the authorization would have to come out of my pocket and would not be funded through financial aid. Instead I took courses for almost the same authorization but with the ability to work outside of my credential. I am now told that I did not complete my courses and that I would need more schooling. I am very frustrated with this. What is my recourse for this? Does this make any sense? Do I need to clarify?

Asked on 1/18/16, 10:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrew Harrell W. Andrew Harrell, Attorney at Law

There are too few details to give an informed answer. It sounds like this may be a for profit university. They, as is the case with all universities, need to bring in income. They are loathe to grant credit for courses that are taught at another institution. You are trying to make the argument that you have taken equivalent courses. You should check their documentation to see what their policies are concerning credit for courses taken outside the university. There are services that can provide an assessment of credentials; however, I suspect your institution will not budge. I suppose you didn't check with the school beforehand whether or not they would accept the course. Most universities are very willing to fight you in court because they know you don't have the money. (We specialize in higher education courses.)

Read more
Answered on 1/19/16, 5:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Education Law questions and answers in California