Legal Question in Elder Law in California

Hello. I'm an 80, soon to be 81 year old man. I've been separated for 30 years. I own several properties. My ex wife's names are on all the titles as of today. I signed over our most valuable property to my daughter. My ex wife approved because she is on very good terms with my daughter. I very much regret signing the house over. My ex wife knew I would never sign the house over to her, but I might to my daughter if they concocted the right sob story...which they did. I bit like a fish. They manipulated and coerced me, and played me like a fiddle. I'm a softy and they knew they could get me to bite. I would like to have the house in my name again. Do I have a case as some sort of elder abuse, coercion scam? Anything? Help, I'm desperate.

Asked on 1/03/18, 8:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Perry Law Offices of Charles R. Perry

Maybe, maybe not. There isn't enough here as to what you were told, and why you made the transfers.

You also do not want to relate all of those facts here, in a public forum. You will lose confidentiality, and no competent attorney is going to give you advice here.

You need to talk privately with an attorney who has a background in elder law, and possibly family law, who can advise you. If the facts merit a claim, the attorney should be able to draft a demand letter asking for the return of the property, and resolving the problem. He or she should also advise you about the issues involved in litigation against a family member.

You can use LawGuru or your local bar association to help you find an attorney.

Sorry I could not be of more help - - but you really want this all to be confidential. You don't want anything anyone writes here to be used against you.


Charles R. Perry

California State Bar No. 124828

Read more
Answered on 1/03/18, 8:21 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California