Legal Question in Elder Law in California

My aunt just entered a comfort care hospital in northern ca. She has a large amount of money in her checking account and the facility she’s in is charging her $386.00 a day private pay. When her bank account is depleted her care will automatically be state funded.

Can we use some of the money in her account ( my name is on it too) to do some much needed maintenance work on her home?

Asked on 10/12/19, 10:28 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Aaron Feldman Feldman Law Group

You should really have a deeper consultation with an Elder Law attorney (such as myself) because there is a lot that she can do with her money that is exempt from scrutiny when applying for Medi-Cal and other expenses that are disqualifying. Usually the home is an exempt asset provided your Aunt has a desire (not necessarily the ability) to return and live there. If true, then expenses on an exempt asset are kosher. Other examples might be pre-paid funeral/burial expenses. Again, you should consult with an attorney specializing in elder law before doing anything with the money. And consulting with an attorney would not be a prohibited expense.

Read more
Answered on 10/12/19, 12:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California