Legal Question in Elder Law in California

I purchased a non refundable ticket from Hawaiian Airlines for a friend who made a commitment by text message to reimburse me. She hasn't. Can I sue in Small Claims Court in San Diego. She lives in Castro Valley, California. Unfortunately the text message got deleted in error but she doesnt know that. Please advise and also what you charge to send a demand letter. It's for $500.00. I am 85 yr old senior and feel I was taken advantage of. She won't respond to messages or phone calls.

Asked on 4/06/22, 5:27 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

I'm sorry to say you are probably completely out of luck. First off, you would have to file the small claims case in Alameda County. Then you'd be faced with the he said/she said about the missing text. That doesn't mean you automatically lose, but lost evidence does not strengthen a case.

Read more
Answered on 4/06/22, 9:37 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in California