Legal Question in Entertainment Law in California

I signed my son with agent a few years back for an exclusive 3 year contract. About 3 months after we signed the state approved contract. He stated he had an addendum to the contract which required a signature. I recently found out the addendum was not state approved. The state requested me to file a petition. I’m trying to figure out if the original contract is good or did he breech the contract since he tried to modify the contract.

Asked on 8/02/18, 1:36 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keith E. Cooper Keith E. Cooper, Esq.

You don't say whether you son is a minor, but I assume that he was at the time the contract was entered into. You also don't say the nature of the addendum or whether it materially changed the contract. There isn't enough information in your post to answer your question about whether the contract is good, and you probably don't want to give more information in a public forum. My suggestion to you is that you consult with an attorney who can review the documents and advise you specifically on what your obligations and remedies might be. In the meantime, if you have spoken to someone with the state who says you need to file a petition, you should consider following up on that. Again, you would be better off having an attorney look at it before you file.

Keep in mind that trying to save a few dollars on an attorney now could end up being much more expensive to you later. Most attorneys will tell you honestly whether they can help you before you have to pay anything.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/18, 2:05 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in California