Legal Question in Entertainment Law in California

I want to start a Lou Rawls Tribute Band. Do I need the estate's permission, even though I don't plan to use any of Lou Rawls' images, and play in ASCAP licensed venues?

Asked on 9/24/14, 7:47 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keith E. Cooper Keith E. Cooper, Esq.

Tribute bands typically don't seek permission from the band they are imitating. You do, however, need to get performance rights to any songs you're using (which is how the estate will make money off you). The managers at the licensed venues should be able to tell you how it works with them.

Read more
Answered on 9/26/14, 12:47 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in California