Legal Question in Family Law in California


I was recently contacted by a woman who says she had a son by me 18 years ago.

I never knew about him nor have I met him yet.

He was raised by another man who he thought was his father.

Could this kid's mom sue me for back child support?

Could I be liable for anything?

Thank You

Asked on 7/29/22, 6:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

There are too many variables in that kind of situation that impact the rights and responsibilities of all concerned to answer with the limited information provided. However the chances of her being able to seek back child support are very slim to none unless she filed it sometime in the past and never got around to serving you with the papers. And even then she would have to justify the delay and could not under any circumstances whatsoever go back more than three years.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/22, 10:28 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California