Legal Question in Family Law in California

The judge extended my TRO for 12-months, recommended my ex-girlfriend and I to custody mediation and for me to file an RFO for our son which I did. We didn’t reach an agreement in mediation because she said she didn’t want my son to be with me overnight because of smoking and drinking which I don’t do either, and it would put my job in jeopardy, and this was never an issue brought up in our TRO case. What are my options when I go before a judge for custody change with these false allegations? We had a mutual custody agreement prior to the TRO where we shared joint custody but not court ordered.

Asked on 7/15/22, 9:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

For starters you don't say whether your TRO is in your favor or against you. You also don't clearly explain where you are in the custody court process other than you have completed mediation. So it's impossible to know if your next appearance will give you the opportunity to present witnesses or if it will just be you, her and the judge. I suggest you contact your local Family Court Services or Family Court Self Help office or whatever they call it in your county, for assistance.

Read more
Answered on 7/17/22, 2:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California