Legal Question in Family Law in California

My husband wants to take the kids and move 10 hours away because he doesn't like the weather here. I don't think it's in the best interests of the children. They would be leaving an excellent school, all their friends and moving out of a home we own into a very small apartment and substantially inferior living conditions. Husband says he'll go with or without me and take the kids with him. If this led to divorce, would he have a good chance of gaining sole custody of the children? I am currently the primary caregiver. He claims to love them but spends most of his time working, and says he has to drink daily in order to cope with the stress of fatherhood. I can't believe a judge would grant him custody, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I'm wrong.

Asked on 7/26/16, 12:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock APLC

You have justified reasons to ask the court for placement of the children in your custodial care and not to be moved from the residence or school system. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to assess the best way to proceed.

Read more
Answered on 7/29/16, 5:16 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California