Legal Question in Family Law in California

I live in California. My husband is leaving because, "we want different things in retirement". We have been married 31 years. I have always worked part time so I could be at home with our 3 sons, (who are now grown). What does the law say about how long I should be able to receive spousal support.?

Asked on 7/20/16, 10:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

For a 31 year marriage, spousal support would essentially be indefinite. Fifteen years minimum. Of course at your age and his, the courts will take into account his right to retire at some point and reduce his support payments at that time, and support is always limited and controlled by the specific family economic circumstances, but generally for a marriage of that length support would be open ended, with his right to ask for reduction or termination in the future only for good cause related to his economic circumstances.

Read more
Answered on 7/20/16, 10:49 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California