Legal Question in Family Law in California

My husband and I are planning to file a Summary Dissolution in CA. We have unfiled taxes from the time we have been married. If we do not file these taxes now and put the owed amount into the agreement about our community debt, does that just mean that we would never be able to legally hold each other accountable for how much each one of us pays on that debt?

Asked on 8/08/17, 6:47 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

No, it does not mean that, but it will greatly complicate the process of one collecting the fair share from the other. It would require a full blown lawsuit, whereas if it is addressed in the divorce, either of you can just go back into court and obtain an order for payment under penalty of contempt of court.

Read more
Answered on 8/08/17, 3:58 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California