Legal Question in Family Law in California

My ex has legal orders to get my name off his car loan but refuses. He is 3 month behind in payments and is in jeopardy of getting his car repossessed. How do I get my name off the shared loan so my credit isn't hurt anymore?

Asked on 2/26/16, 12:14 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Arlene Kock Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock APLC

You need to get a court order from the court requesting that he refinance the vehicle or sell it so you are no longer obligated for this debt.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/16, 1:25 pm
Lyle Johnson Bedi and Johnson Attorneys at Law

The court cannot order the lender to remove your name from the loan. Your name can be removed, If he refinances the car loam. that is very unlikely as he is in arrears on the loan; or the lender can agree to remove your name from the loan, unlikely as the loan is in default. You could go to court and request an order that transfer the vehicle to you and then you can make up the payments and either keep the car or sell it. You will also request that the court order him to pay for your losses.

There is no good answer for you in this case.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/16, 2:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California