Legal Question in Medical Leave in California

My fiancee got a divorce from his ex wife in Kansas. The ex wife was entitled to $2500 a month for alimony and child support. She now resides in Texas and him in California. We are just about to get married. Is there a way where we can decrease the amount he pays cause we are barely making it now.

Asked on 3/24/11, 2:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Chau Law Offices James Chau

Spousal support orders are generally determined by the laws where they were made, so if it was a KS divorce then the divorce laws of KS would control the alimony laws. You should speak with an attorney in KS to see if there are any ways you can reduce the alimony amount. If the ex gets remarried or is cohabitating with a person of the opposite sex, then that might justify a reduction or termination of spousal support.

For self represented individuals you can consult with the family law facilitator self help center at your local court house.

As always please consult a local attorney prior to taking legal action. Good luck. Also please check out my Santa Clara County Family Lawyer blog.

Law Offices James Chau

1625 The Alameda Suite 204

San Jose, CA. 95126

Read more
Answered on 3/25/11, 9:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Medical Leave Act questions and answers in California