Legal Question in Intellectual Property in California

Someone finally bought the place next door and they already ruined the road so now I can't get to my own house, Help!

Fresno, CA | on Mar 1

it's been over 2 weeks and he has still not fixed the only access road to my property. I have to walk about 50 yards through mud carrying groceries, 50 lb. bags of dog food and whatever else has to be brought in from the car and my neighbor acts like it's no big deal! 3-propertys one road and he has a huge gravel truck deliver gravel when its raining and it gets stuck and tears up the whole road just past his place so he has no problem pulling his car up to his house. The gravel truck driver is a friend of his so he's not stressing him on fixing it but he's not doing anything about it either. What do I do? The Sheriff says he can't do anything , does this mean I have to keep walking from my car in the rain until someone moves into the other house on our road? To top it off he had the gravel dropped off on the steepest part of the road where it was fine before but now my tires just spins so I have to park even further away from my house now.

Asked on 3/22/17, 12:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Keith E. Cooper Keith E. Cooper, Esq.

The sheriff may not be able to do anything because this is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. That doesn't mean your neighbor hasn't violated the law nor that you have no recourse. Assuming that the access road appears as an easement in the property records, your neighbor has no right to impeded your use of it. You need to speak to a real estate attorney who can advise you specifically about your rights and, if necessary, bring a lawsuit against your neighbor. Don't wait and don't waste further time asking questions on law bulletin boards--the fact that your neighbor hasn't been responsive indicates this isn't something you can handle by yourself.

Read more
Answered on 3/27/17, 5:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Intellectual Property questions and answers in California