Legal Question in Juvenile Dependency in California

Seventeen Year Old Leaving Home

Can a seventeen year old leave home and move into her nearby grandmother's house without the consent of her mother and only legal guardian? Especially when the mother is verbally abusive and treating the teenager in question like a slave? The grandmother lives maybe five minutes away but it is a completely different living enviroment and much healthier mentally and physically for the teen.

Asked on 9/18/07, 8:49 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anne Marie Healy Law Offices of Anne Marie Healy

Re: Seventeen Year Old Leaving Home

If the mother is not giving her consent, then the teen-ager cannot leave home to live with Grandma unless the Grandma has a court order. Or, the teen-ager can file for emancipation and be successful, if certain criteria are met.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/07, 8:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Juvenile Dependency questions and answers in California