Legal Question in Employment Law in California

Wrongful termination

I was working for a constuction company until 10-2000 and was terminated because the employer said i was using drugs and alcohol,they did not drug test me or ask me for a drug test.They told the employment department the same thing when i applied for unemployment insurance therefore dening me my benifits. I am wondering if there is anything i can do legally.Please help.

Asked on 1/08/01, 11:36 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Harrison Spivak & Harrison

Re: Wrongful termination

The excuse your prior employer gave for firing you may be false because the true reason he fired you is an illegal basis for termination. If that is your suspicion, you should speak to an attorney.

An attorney may wish to know if the employer informed you of your termination in writing.

David G. Spivak, Esq.

Spivak & Harrison

10100 Santa Monica Boulevard

Suite 800

Los Angeles, California 90067

Telephone (310) 772-2274

Facsimile (310) 772-0880

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 1/12/01, 11:14 am
Ken Koury Kenneth P. Koury, Esq.

Re: Wrongful termination

The first step is to his file an appeal for the denial of unemployment benefits. They will have a hearing in which the employer must come down to present evidence that what they said about you strew. After you've heard the evidence, you can then consult with an attorney to determine whether or not you have a case.

Read more
Answered on 1/12/01, 4:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in California