Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California

The door to my apartment is broken and won’t close unless it is pushed firmly and locked, however it doesn’t close unless I do this every time I use the door. My landlord has not responded to my requests to fix the door. Can I repair the door myself and deduct the repair costs from my rent? What are my options? I live in California if that helps. Thanks!

Asked on 11/17/18, 4:52 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services

An inconvenience like that does not give rise to a legal right to repair and deduct. Repair and deduct is only available for substantial defects that affect the actual habitability of the dwelling.

Read more
Answered on 11/17/18, 5:56 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California