Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in California


Ive been renting out my new place for about 5 months now. My place is missing the ventilation that belongs above the gas oven. It was brought to my attention that it is unsafe to not have one placed above the oven. Do you know the code and/or regulating agency that the landlord must comply with regarding this issue? I am going to bring this issue to my landlords attn just want to have the facts to show her. Thanks

Asked on 12/30/10, 10:29 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

David Gibbs The Gibbs Law Firm, APC

Contact the local building department and ask that they inspect the premises. Be prepared, however, that if they declare the premises uninhabitable, you will have to move out immediately. Your landlord would be liable for your costs, but there is no leeway when it comes to the premises being unihabitable.

*Due to the limitations of the LawGuru Forums, The Gibbs Law Firm, APC's (the "Firm") participation in responding to questions posted herein does not constitute legal advice, nor legal representation of the person or entity posting a question. No Attorney/Client relationship is or shall be construed to be created hereby. The information provided is general and requires that the poster obtain specific legal advice from an attorney. The poster shall not rely upon the information provided herein as legal advice nor as the basis for making any decisions of legal consequence. As required by 11 U.S.C. 528, we must now disclose that, "We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code. Assistance we provide with respect to Debt Relief may involve bankruptcy relief under the Bankruptcy Code."

Read more
Answered on 1/10/11, 2:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in California