Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was in a car accident in 2006 and did not have adequate car insurance. I was sued by Progressive Insurance for $27,000 and the judgment was made in 2009. I have paid $12,000 of it off since 2009. Last month my license was suspend and levies have been put on my bank account because I have not paid Priority Collections and Progressive fast enough. I have been unemployed for 3 years so I am not eligible for a payment plan with the collection agency and not having a license prohibits me from being able to do the odd jobs I need to in order to survive. I do not want to file bankruptcy but I cannot sustain these finical attacks and having my driver's license suspended. Is there a statute of limitations on this type of judgement? Other than paying this off in full or filing for bankruptcy do I have any options for getting my licenses back?

Asked on 4/05/12, 2:25 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

California judgments expire after ten years, but they can be renewed for ten more years each time they expire.

I don't know of any ways to get your license back other than the ones you list. But I am not an expert in this field. Perhaps some of my colleagues will have suggestions.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/12, 2:39 pm
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless

Your answer will be found by contacting DMV and requesting a statement of what you have to do to get back your license, fully informing them of all the facts you claim. I suggest you write to them, rather than call. There is no easy answer for you.

Read more
Answered on 4/05/12, 4:19 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California