Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I was involved in an accident in california and am trying to find out the other parties policy limits. the insurer told me they have not received the release from their insured, how can i find out the real policy limits?

Asked on 1/19/10, 3:00 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Simon Law Office of Barry J. Simon

Their insured has to provide written consent. I, as a lawyer, can typically get that information or at least a ballpark of the limits. We would never settle the case without proof of limits if your case is worth that. What are your injuries and damage to your car? How did the accident happen? Is there a Traffic Collision Report? Please email to [email protected]

Barry J. Simon, ESQ.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/10, 5:26 pm
Melvin C. Belli The Belli Law Firm

.Unfortunately the insurance companies cannot divulge their insured's limits without their consent which for some strange reason they rarely are able to obtain unless they're sued or the damages exceed the coverage. However you can condition any settlement on disclosure of the limits.

Oh by the way once you sue the defendant then their insurance coverage must be disclosed upon proper request.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions or need assistance with your personal injury case please give us a call for a free consultation at (866) 981-1850 or visit our website at

Hope this helps and good luck.

Read more
Answered on 1/24/10, 8:50 pm
Norman Gregory Fernandez, Esq. The Law Offices of Norman Gregory Fernandez & Associates

You have already read above that they do not have to divulge policy limits pre-lit, however, we can usually get them to divulge policy limits either in pre-lit, or lit.

You should not be handling this case without an attorney. You have no clue what you are entitled to.

My firm handles PI cases all over the State of California. You may call me for a free consultation at 800-816-1529 x. 1 or go to my website at .

Read more
Answered on 1/25/10, 2:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California