Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

Hello. I have a situation and need legal advice. I had a car accident July 2021. The person that hit me didn’t have insurance. My insurance didn’t cover the accident but they do pay up to $13000 bodily injury for

uninsured motorists and they covered the damage to my car. I contacted an attorney to help me with my case through a family friend of my daughter. She said she would represent me and proceeded to contact a doctor for me for my injuries. So I’ve been receiving services since August 2021 meanwhile she said she sent Geico Insurance a letter of representative and Geico claims she has not. I didn’t contact another attorney because she assured me several times that she has handled her part but Geico recently said that she is non responsive when they call and have not received the letter. At this point she has not responded to me or others who have called her regarding my case as well as the doctor and has abandoned my case. The doctor has completed my treatment. What do I do?

Asked on 4/25/22, 7:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

Do you have a written retainer agreement with that attorney? If so, send her a letter notifying her she is fired. If not, you have no obligation to her of any kind and can move forward. In either case, file a complaint with the State Bar, and hire a new attorney. The LA County Bar Assn outsources it's lawyer referral service to SmartLaw

Read more
Answered on 4/26/22, 12:01 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California