Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

I would like to dispute a zoning decision made by Los Angeles County in regards to a property next door to me that was changed from R3 to CM. Myself and the neighbors were not notified about the possible change and this impacts the neighborhood greatly. The property in question was cited in 2015 by the Nuisance Abatement Team, but the owner continued even after that to violate the law. It has been a 10 year battle with the owner and Los Angeles County has turned a blind eye to our requests in the past to do something about the situation and now we find that the county changed the owner’s zoning to allow for commercial use in an ALL residential area. Could you please direct me as to whether I ‘m in need of Zoning attorney or a Civil attorney. Also, the property to dispute is in the unincorporated area of Los Angeles County. Thank you and any suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Asked on 3/23/22, 3:31 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

"Civil" attorney is basically anything that is not criminal, family law, or bankruptcy. What you need is what is usually referred to as a "Land Use" attorney, which is a somewhat specialized subset of Real Estate law. Contact the LA County Bar Association for a referral.

Read more
Answered on 3/24/22, 2:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California