Legal Question in Veterans Law in California

RE-4 Upgrade Reenlistment

I've been discharged with an RE-4 from the Marines. After bootcamp my foot never completely healed, I reported to SOI after 10 days of leave, and ended up sent to guard training for a month. My foot never completely healed because we wore our boots and socks constantly. Once I got sent to Infantry training I went UA because my foot was so bad it was rotting, I didn't tell anyone, I just went UA. I came back after 8 months, and was discharged with RE-4, other than honorable. I'm 21, and I want to finish what I started, I did make a mistake of signing up that contract for 8 years, but I want to finish what I started. I need to get this record off my back. Is it possible for me to upgrade my RE-4 and reenlist? During guard training, the only time you can go to the store was if you're lucky enough to have off duty, off post during 1800 or something, it was really stupid. I couldn't buy foot powder or new socks or anything. I woke up everyday feeling like 1000 needles just jumped up my under foot, and it stink really bad.

Asked on 2/27/09, 10:18 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jill Mitchell-Thein Heard & Smith, LLP

Re: RE-4 Upgrade Reenlistment

I really only do veterans benefits appeals, but there is a group at the University of Texas Law School that is working on doing discharge upgrades. Email me separately and I can give you their information along with some names of other attorneys you may want to consult.

Read more
Answered on 2/27/09, 10:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Veterans Law questions and answers in California