Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

may i file a small estate affidavit to the court in correct jurisdiction via certified mail as i reside a distance away

thank you

Asked on 3/15/19, 3:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Palley Meissner, Joseph, Palley & Ruggles, Inc.

Depends on what type of small estate affidavit. If it's for personal property, like a bank account, you do not send to the court. You send to the bank. The court would not know what to do with it as they are not involved in personal property affidavits pursuant to probate code 13100. If it's for real estate then yes you send to the court but regular mail is fine. If real estate make sure you get your inventory and appraisal done by the proper probate referee also. Include a stamped return envelope too. Good luck. -John

Read more
Answered on 3/15/19, 3:09 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California