Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My housemate of 10 years passed away without a known POA, Trust or Will. His "aunt" is ready to pack up his belongings before the body is even claimed. How do I proceed legally with his belongings (clothing, car, valuables, etc)? Do I just allow them to come into our shared residence to take them? This "aunt" is named as a emergency contact with his work, but not on any hospital records or on any legal documents. I want to follow the law in respects to his belongings as well as show respect his things. I want to do this right.

Asked on 7/13/22, 1:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Timothy McCormick Haapala, Thompson & Abern, LLP

You have no legal obligations or rights regarding his property. As much as you may be concerned about his things, it's not up to you to worry about what happens to them.

Read more
Answered on 7/14/22, 11:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California