Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

My sister who is not talking to me anymore since my mom died basically had the family trust made out.

All of the children names are spelt wrong except for hers. I asked her to make it right and she said she knows who we r she will give us the money, don't i trust her.

my dad hasn't died yet but cant i have our names spelt write before he does. She doesn't like the 3 of us and will have nothing to do with us, so no if my dad dies we are getting nothing I dont understand why my stupid parents did not notice it at the time the were signing the next page

Please please help

Asked on 8/13/19, 10:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michele Cusack Pollak & Cusack

If your father is competent, he can amend the trust to correct the name spellings. If he is not and your sister is already acting as Trustee, she cannot amend it. However, if you and your other siblings are referred to as your parents' children in the trust document, mis-spellings should not result in you being disinherited. If your sister takes that position, you might have to go to court, but I doubt any lawyer would advise her to do so.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/19, 11:04 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California