Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Colorado

our daughter was arrested in colorado for 3rd degree assault & domestic violence by her partner whom she is separated from. He is just as violent as she is. She has been in jail a week with complications of moving her to the place the charges were filed. She is to meet with a judge this next week. What will happen at that meeting? Does an attorney need to be present? If we as parents attend, do we get to talk to the judge?? What do you suggest to us to be prepared to let the judge see this is just a naive country girl that her partner has betrayed her trust. There is a child involved.

Asked on 12/18/15, 8:11 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

The best things you can do is 1. contact a bail bondsman and see if bond can be posted for your daughter; and 2. see if you can hire an attorney to represent her. A review of the case file may demonstrate that she has a defense to the charges.

If she is still in custody at the next court date she will be represented by the public defender. Unless she pleads guilty at the initial appearance (not likely) you will not be able to make any statement to the judge. Your only opportunity to speak directly to the court will be at sentencing. What your daughter needs is an attorney.

If you are interested in hiring an attorney, you can contact my office at (303) 531-5380.

Read more
Answered on 12/18/15, 9:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Colorado