Legal Question in Family Law in Colorado

We were divorced in Colorado, she now has lived with a man full-time in NV for over 1.5 years, and I want to stop paying maintenance after 19 years. Do I go to the Colorado court, and how will they see NV's non-law?

Asked on 8/04/16, 10:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stephen Harkess Colorado Legal Solutions

You would have to go to court in Colorado to modify spousal maintenance. However, your ex can have a roommate for as long as she wants without affecting your responsibility to pay. You will need a different justification if you actually want to end your obligation. Even in Colorado, simply living together does not create a marriage. In Nevada they do not recognize common law marriage at all.

Read more
Answered on 8/04/16, 10:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Colorado