Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

Connecticut: I have joint legal custody of 12 year old daughter. Visitation order is that daughter goes with father every Fri. until 7 pm, and every other weekend, Fri-Sun. as well as 2 weeks of the summer and alternating April or Feb. school vacation weeks. Childcare expenses to be split (57% me, 43% him), UNLESS the care is required for one of the father's summer or school vacation weeks. If he cannot take her one of those weeks, he has to pay 100% childcare expense. (Agreement specifically states this).

*Father has not taken daughter for any Friday visits in one year and no weekend visits, since Christmas 2016 and no school vaca or summer vaca weeks at all this past year. No visitation, other than a couple 2 hour visits the entire year.

Would I likely be able to collect 100% reimbursement of a $200 summer camp that lasted 2 weeks, as father did not take her at all for the summer? Also, with father not attending any Dr appts and refusing to attend her counseling appts., would I likely be able to file for Sole Legal Custody, in order to be able to make important decisions myself without being obligated to involve him? I would never look to take away visitation if it was desired, but wish to be the sole decision-maker and not have to constantly send appt date & times and travel plans, when he has essentially no involvement with her. I also have great concern that if something happens to me, he'd have custody and its not at all where she'd want to be.

Asked on 12/07/17, 3:58 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Max Rosenberg Rosenberg,Whewell, & Hite, LLC

Perhaps you should hire an attorney for post judgment motion practice. Have them file a Motion for Contempt or a Motion for Advice. Also you should prepare your Last Will and Testament and Guardianship papers for the child.

Read more
Answered on 12/14/17, 7:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut