Legal Question in Family Law in Connecticut

Two parents have joint custody. Primary custodial parent wants to move minor child across the country. The reason for the move is that the custodial parent's fiancee got a better job out there, therefor they will be able to provide a better life for the child. Custodial parent does not have a job lined up in the state across the country, and she does not know anybody there. Minor child is very close with her father, new baby sister,and many other family members. Minor child has also been recently seeing a therapist for depression. Child currently wants to move, because custodial parent makes promises of a big house and bedroom for the child. Would a judge likely allow the custodial parent to move across the country with the minor child? The current court order does not mention what would happen if a parent wanted to move. Thank you!

Asked on 5/26/13, 2:03 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Heffernan Heffernan Legal Group, LLP

Tons more info needed. Ages? How far? Support systems here? There? Lot's of factors.

Read more
Answered on 5/26/13, 5:12 pm

Linda Subbloie Linda A. Subbloie, Esq.

Without more information, and based ONLY upon the facts in the question, there is a good chance a court may deny the mother for two reasons: 1) she isn't married to the fiancee; 2) all of the reasons given that favor the father. (There is no guarantee either way based upon the facts)

Read more
Answered on 5/28/13, 11:31 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Connecticut