Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Connecticut

I am prepared to give the proceeds of a land sale to my ex daughter-in-law to satisfy divorce action so my son doesn’t have to sell their house. She is agreeable to these terms. Can we have the check for proceeds of the land sale directly made out to her? What would the tax implications be for her? Me?

Asked on 2/26/24, 9:02 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Heffernan Heffernan Legal Group, LLP

The buyer's lawyer (who will be cutting the check) will probably insist on having the check made out to you. He/she has tax reporting obligations and will want a proper paper trail, if anyone comes knocking on his/her door in the future. No tax implication for her; no different tax implication for you.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/24, 9:10 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Connecticut