Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Connecticut

I am a co owner of a house in East haven ct 06512

I have been paying taxes ins& upkeep & including taking care of the property when the town issued a blight notice in March of 2017...

The property is now ready to b put on the market& my brother informed me he is not going to reimburse me for the pass 4 yrs , which were very difficult for me to maintain ,my house ,my parents home& as well as this property without his help..which he just out of the blue , he told me he didn't have his share of the taxes.. when I asked him in july 2017...I said I dont have it either but..ive been making the nesscary sacrifices in preparation for me to meet my responsibilities !!

In the past 4 yrs there have been many issues with the property & he hasn't contributed at all ,

to the point of not even responding to my text messages...but now that the property is on the market ...all I hear from him that is he has paid enough& he ll expect his full share at the closing...

My sister has said she ll back me up & reimburse me for all I've paid out...!!

My question is

How can I get my brother to pay the last 4 yrs of expenses ?

without iinterference with the closing that is almost certain to happen quickly?

Asked on 11/27/21, 1:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Max Rosenberg Rosenberg,Whewell, & Hite, LLC

You need to have an attorney handle the closing and handle your brother. You should make an agreement in advance or threaten a partition action. There are other options as well. Please feel free to contact us to discuss all your options 203.870.6700.

Read more
Answered on 11/29/21, 12:31 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Connecticut