Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

If someone gets into a car accident and the person respondsible was intoxicated and had no insurance can you file a civil suit? The responsible party was never porsecuted for DUI but she didn't have insurance. The injured party suffered bodily injury and incurred medical expenses and the vechile was totalled.

Asked on 8/11/10, 6:56 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Thomas Robinson The Robinson Firm

You can absolutely file a civil suit, executing on any judgment would likely be problematic, however. You could also look to your UM/UIM coverage, which is much more feasible if this coverage was in place on the date of accident.

Read more
Answered on 8/16/10, 7:03 am
Jacob Lieberman Lieberman Law Company

The Defendant may be more interested in paying if they have a valid drivers license in which they would lose their license upon non payment of a Judgment on the first $10,000.00. I pursue at fault drivers who do not have insurance and if you do not have UM.

Read more
Answered on 8/16/10, 8:59 am
Angelo Marino Angelo Marino Jr. PA

The owner of the vehicle is responsible also under our law.

Want to know the law? Sign up for our free newsletter on varies areas of the law by sending an email to [email protected] and requesting the newsletter, or go to See for your personal injury needs.

Read more
Answered on 8/18/10, 7:42 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida