Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Florida

Payment of an accident 4 years ago

I was involved in an accident 4 years ago. I was not insured at the time, lost my license for a year. The driver of the vehicle sued me and then dismissed charged the it was dismissed thru the courts 3 years ago. After one year my regained my license and had to obtain SR22 insurance. Now the insurance company of the driver that I hit is coming back stating that I owe them $12,000 and can make monthly payments and if I don't I owe it in full. Not sure what to do? If it has already been dismissed once, am I liable again and if I signed this agreement from the insurance company and decide later to file bankruptcy, is this possible after signing this agreement?

Asked on 1/07/07, 1:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jacob Lieberman Lieberman Law Company

Re: Payment of an accident 4 years ago

Depends if the charges were dismissed with or w/o prejudice. In addition, the statue of limitations may be an issue in your case as it is 4 years for tort cases in most situations.

As far as bankruptcy, there are a few exceptions to bankruptcy, I do not beieve they would apply in your situation, thus you could file even after making a payment subject to preference laws, however that probabably is a better question to ask in a bankruptcy forum.

Read more
Answered on 1/08/07, 12:05 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Florida