Legal Question in Civil Rights Law in Florida

Same Sex Power of Attorney

I have been in a same sex relationship for over 3 years, I would like to know what type of paper work I/we would need in case of a misfortune to either of us. I have researched the Florida law and I find myself more confused then I was before I started searching. I just need to know where I can purchase such paper work and what type of documents we would need to get to protect ourselves. Any help you can provide to us would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

--name removed--Burnette

Asked on 7/01/04, 9:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Regina Mullen Legal Data Services, PLC

Re: Same Sex Power of Attorney

You should consult a gay-friendly estate planner; your local gay press should have advertisements. You have various issues to resolve: living wills, insurance, medical directives, etc. You should have a professional do this, not just buy paperwork. Or, if you do buy a kit (also check the NOLO press website for references), get an attorney to look them over after you write them up, just be be sure the result will be what you want.

Read more
Answered on 7/01/04, 10:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Civil Rights Law questions and answers in Florida