Legal Question in Elder Law in Florida

I am a caregiver for my mother in Florida. I have been doing this for almost 1 year. Can I collect compensation for past and future caregiving?

Asked on 3/17/14, 1:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Dawn Marie Bates-Buchanan Bates-Buchanan & Savitsky Law Group, P.A.

Not unless you have a special skill as a licensed nurse or nurses aid. Usually a family member does not have a legal right to be compensated for care of another family membe monetarily. You could be reimbursed directly dollar for dollar only for any expenses you might have paid for your family member (i.e. you paid for their prescription or doctor bill) this does not include food, rent, utilities, if you also gained benefit from that service - that you ate the food, lived in the rented space or used the utilities).

if your family member has capacity still and wants to compensate you for your caregiving; have her create a trust to do so.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/14, 10:43 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Florida