Legal Question in Elder Law in Florida

My husband passed away, house and car in both our names, what should I do

Asked on 1/08/18, 9:24 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

I recommend you consult with a probate attorney to ensure the assets are truly titled as husband and wife. Also, an attorney can ask questions to determine if there are other assets that need to be administered, etc. If the house and car are truly the only assets you need transferred into your name, you can bring a certified death certificate to the property recorder's office and one to the DMV.

Read more
Answered on 1/08/18, 12:05 pm
Jason Neufeld Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert, PA, a personal-injury and elder law firm

If the house is jointly titled as tenants by the entirety or joint tenants with right of survivorship, you don’t need to do anything (title of house passes to you by operation of law, if you want to sell it, you’ll just record the death certificate).

As far as the car, see an article I wrote on the subject.

Read more
Answered on 1/08/18, 12:27 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Florida